Switzerland is known as The Land of the Alps, and rightfully so. Bordered by France, Germany, Italy and Austria, Switzerland offers the most breathtaking views of the panoramic Alps. Though small, it is also one of the richest countries in the world, which is why there is no wonder many tourists dream of a Swiss vacation. There are plenty of Switzerland tourist attractions, too, although there are five you should definitely stop to see.
1. The Chillon Castle - Located on the shore of Lake Geneva, the Chillon Castle is one of the most famous castles in Switzerland. Consisting of 100 buildings, it dates back to the 11th century and is the former residence of the Savoy nobility. It also has three courtyards and four great halls which offer magnificent views of the lake beyond.
2. Zermatt - Although there are many beautiful ski resorts in Switzerland, Zermatt stands out as one of the top Switzerland tourist attractions because it is located at the foot of the Matterhorn, the most famous peak of the Swiss Alps. Even if you're not into skiing, you can still enjoy the view while dining at a gourmet restaurant or shopping around the town.
3. Geneva Jet D'eau - This fountain in the heart of one of Switzerland's major cities is one of the tallest fountains in the world, projecting water up to 140 meters high. Built in 1891, it is also considered one of the symbols of the city of Geneva.
While in Geneva, you might want to see other tourist spots, too, particularly the museums. The International Red Cross and Red Crescent Museum is one of the most popular museums in Switzerland, and is definitely worth a visit, along with the Cathedral de St. Pierre and other historical buildings.
4. Swiss National Park - Although you cannot pitch a tent and spend the night at Swiss National Park, you can certainly appreciate the different views of the Alps as you go hiking, which is why it is one of the Switzerland tourist attractions worth seeing. It is also Switzerland's only national park, covering almost half the area of the entire country. It is a sanctuary for various wildlife such as elks, marmots and eagles, as well.
5. Swiss Transport Museum - Located in Lucerne, the Swiss Transport Museum is home to an exhibit of locomotives, ships, aircraft, automobile and other modes of transport and communication. It also houses an extensive collection of the works of Hans Erni, a Swiss painter and sculptor. You're sure to enjoy the Planetarium and the IMAX theatre, too.
Indeed, Switzerland has many sights waiting to be discovered. Aside from visiting Switzerland tourist attractions, don't forget to immerse yourself in the country's rich culture, too by participating in festivals or simply mingling with the Swiss. You're sure to have a wonderful time and many golden memories to take home with you.